Tuesday, June 01, 2010

songs i wish i wrote

this is a song by the classic crime entitled "the happy nihilist"

i've wanted to pen a similar song for a few years now, and now i'll have to think of a different approach... oh well. too slow on the trigger, as they say...

i am a happy nihilist
no absolute truth does exist
when i decide to shake my fist
i only got myself to blame
'cause we're all players and life's the game
i only take what i need
i am so light on my feet
i will not stop or concede
i am not driven by greed
no moral compass for me
it's all just natural feelings
existence has no meaning
there's no such thing as happy

but late at night when i sleep,
i dream of more than i see
there's something burning in me
and driving need to be free
why do i sit here and think
about the things that i need
there's nothing left to believe, oh is it all just a dream?

i've taught this to myself
piled books up on the shelf
but it still hurts like hell
to trust nobody else but me
i used to read everything
i used to need nothing
i put my money on me
i used to be something
now i can't sleep
cause i'm not happy

why am i haunted by the metaphysical
is it a cosmic lie or is it literal?
the books i read that used to free my mind
have made me more blind
but the truth
i'll find it

i was a happy nihilist
now i'm wondering why i exist

No comments: